Tags: travel news
Categorised in: Travel News
From gorgeous coastlines to rocky islands, some of the world’s most striking landscapes are also where you’ll find the most scenic runways.
In a recent poll, conducted by PrivateFly, Ireland’s Donegal Airport in County Donegal was voted the world’s most scenic airport runway. The airport, which is located right on the Wild Atlantic Way, beat out 111 other airports with its views of Mount Errigal and the Atlantic coastline.
“From the smattering of clouds, the Wild Atlantic Way appears like an oasis; beautiful clear blue waters and the clearest sand you’ve ever seen,” one survey respondent wrote.
When the airport opened in 1986, it had nothing but a tarmac runway and a grass strip. In the 1990s, the runway was extended and the terminal was developed.
Fun fact: The area’s stunning scenery was used as a backdrop in “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” when the Millennium Falcon makes its landing on Malin Head.
Some of the other airports that ranked in the top 10 include Scotland’s Barra Airport, where the beach serves as runway, and the Nice Côte d’Azur International Airport in France, where you can see the Mediterranean and the Alps as you come in to land.
Top 10 Most Scenic Airports Around the World
1. Donegal Airpport — Ireland
2. Barra Airport — Scotland
3. Nice Côte d’Azur International Airport — France
4. Queenstown Airport — New Zealand
5. Saba Airport (Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport) — Caribbean island of Saba
6. Orlando Melbourne International Airport — Florida
7. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport — Canada
8. London City Airport — England
9. Princess Juliana International Airport — Sint Maarten
10. Miami Airport — Florida