State Department issues spring break travel warning for Mexico – WTHR - http://travelporn.info | luxury travel sites

March 9, 2019 9:48 pm Categorised in:

INDIANAPOLIS (WTHR) – The U.S. Department of State is issuing a warning for spring break travelers who are going to Mexico.

This week, the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City released a security alert, warning vacationers to be extra careful.

According to the Department of State, there has been an increase in reports of crime, such as homicides, kidnappings and robberies in Mexico. The warning also notes “unforeseen problems” such as drownings, sexual assaults and being served unregulated alcohol.

According to a report from Mexico’s Secretariat of Security and Citizen Protection, homicides have increased by about 15 percent from 28,866 homicides in 2017 to 33,341 homicides in 2018.

The warning applies to the entire country.

The Department of State suggests the following tips before traveling to Mexico:

  • Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas or purchase travel insurance that specifically covers you in Mexico. Seek coverage that includes medical evacuation. Confirm costs of medical treatment in advance, when possible.
  • Avoid strong currents and do not swim after drinking or when warning flags note unsafe conditions.
  • Drink responsibly and watch your drink at all times. If you begin to feel ill, seek medical attention immediately. Report cases of unregulated alcohol to the Mexican Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk (COFEPRIS) at contactociudadano@cofepris.gob.mx.
  • Know your drinking companions and stay in a group of friends who have your safety in mind when you are in clubs and bars, out walking in dimly-lit areas, or in a taxi at night. Obey Mexican law and remember Mexican laws may differ from U.S. laws.
  • Be aware of your safety and protect your personal possessions when using public transportation. Use radio taxis or those from “sitio” taxi stands.
  • Keep your friends and family back home informed of your travel plans, especially if traveling alone.
  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you need assistance.

The agency can be reached at 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. or from overseas +1 202-501-4444.


Related Posts